My first-ever green peel experience was an EXPERIENCE, to say the least. I honestly did not research much about green peels before giving it a shot. My reason for trying it was because of all the good things I heard about it from friends who had done it in the past. First, let me start by talking about the purpose of this beauty procedure.
The goal of a green peel is to help renew your skin completely. It is an herbal massage that deeply exfoliates your skin and infuses it with nutrients so that your skin gets a fresh start. The formula has a mixture of eight carefully-selected herbs containing enzymes, minerals and vitamins, which are rubbed into the skin. When the peel is done, you are basically left with a new layer of skin.
The process: the mixture is intensely massaged into your skin for about 3-8 minutes (no more, no less), according to the esthetician. The massaging action combined with this mixture was painful. I am not going to lie because I wish someone would have told me that beforehand so I knew what to expect. Needless to say, I could only handle three minutes of it. After the ‘exfoliation’, a cooling sheet mask is applied to calm your skin for about five minutes. The worst part about the experience was probably removing the mixture and having the moisturizer and BB cream applied. When the mixture is removed, your skin is raw, which is what causes the discomfort.
Aftercare: I couldn’t wash my face for three days in order to let the mask do its work. Once your face is washed, any remaining product is removed, which is why it’s important you let it sit approximately three days. Yes, you got it right: no face washing for 3 days!
Is it worth it? I would say yes. It wasn’t the most enjoyable procedure to go through, but I would do anything for my skin to look more clear and glowy. If this is something you have been considering I suggest to look up results from the green peel, you will see how it drastically changes people’s skin for the better.
Let me introduce you to the first product I’ve tried from The Youth to The People: Superfood Cleanser.
🌿This one is super light, it is only foaming due to my hands working air in and not from the formula, which means there is no place for chemicals.
🌿It’s not perfumy which is definitely something to avoid in your skincare products.
🌿The formula is super gentle, which won’t melt your make up away in 30 seconds for that reason I only use it in the morning.
🌿The cleanser contains clean and effective ingredients, and for the girl with oily acne prone skin you couldn’t ask for better ingredients than kale, spinach, and green tea🍵.
Btw it’s constantly out of stock, I guess that says something about the product as well. 🙌🏼 Have you ever tried it?
One of the most important ingredients I like to see in my skincare products are antioxidants. That is why I picked out this PM Serum by 100% Pure. I’ve gone through the whole bottle, which in my book means the product turned out to be worth the money. My favorite part was how lightweight it felt and how glowy it made my skin look the next morning. But today is not about reviewing a product. Instead, we’re going to talk about antioxidants and why they are so beneficial for your skin. Here are some key reasons why:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
🌱 it has been proven that antioxidants are your dominant weapon against free radicals, which are your skin’s worst enemy; ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
🌱 they promote an even skin tone and firm your skin; ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
🌱 people with acne-prone skin will find them useful for treating scars; ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
🌱 antioxidants are essential anti-aging ingredients in skincare (this is my favorite part);⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
🌱 they protect your skin from UV rays;⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I’m a huge believer that it’s not only about the quality of the skincare products we use, but that it’s also important to watch what we consume. You can find antioxidants not only in skincare products, but also in your grocery bag. Blueberries, red peppers, avocado, watermelon, green leafy vegetables, nuts, oranges, sweet potatoes and green or black tea are a great place to start. ⠀⠀⠀⠀
The Ordinary’s Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2% is one of my favorite products from their line, and if you ask why, it’s because it actually works. You know how it usually goes when we buy products. We give them a try and often don’t see any results. That is not the case when it comes to this one. Here are a few tips to make the most of using it, along with my impressions:
- At first there was some pretty intense tingling, especially around my eyes and lips. My skin rarely has any sensations when it comes to skincare products, so that made me slightly nervous. I would suggest going easy with it in those two areas. The founders and online reviews say that the tingling goes away in a week or two, but if you know your skin the way I do, you might want to avoid using this product around your upper lip and take extra care around your eye area. If the tingling feels unbearable to you, or if you don’t want to take any chances, you can always mix it with your favorite moisturizer. For people with sensitive skin, I suggest being cautious and maybe start with it as a spot treatment to see how your skin reacts.
- The first time I applied this product, I used it along with Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%. At the time, I had two breakouts on my cheek, and I swear to you the next day they were almost gone. Three days later, they had vanished completely.
- Another miraculous effect this product had was brightening my skin. We all know how long it takes for acne scars to go away, and I noticed them fading after using this Vitamin C for only about one week. I literally had a “wow” moment, because, just like many of you, I am skeptical about a product until I see visible results. I’m very happy with its effectiveness.
- Another benefit is that it works well with the other products I use. I usually wait a couple of minutes to let it soak in before I follow up with moisturizer. The formula seems compatible with the rest of my skincare routine.
- Because of all the tingling and irritation that can follow (I suggest starting with a less-concentrated Vitamin C to build up your tolerance), I only apply it at night. Plus its texture is a bit gritty, which makes it a better product for my p.m. skincare routine.
- My skin looks super plump and radiant the morning after using it. I can’t say it helps fines lines just yet since breakouts and scars are my biggest concern.
- In the beginning, the texture was something that threw me off. At first, it’s very creamy, but as you rub it in (like you would do with any cream or serum), it developed more of a texture that was harder to spread. So now I only use a drop of product and apply it to one area of my face, then apply another drop for another area, and so on.
- I use it only at night, and after one month of use I’m can see that I’m almost halfway done with the product, which means that one bottle won’t even last for two months. That’s a downside, but on the other hand the product is only about $7, so it won’t hurt your wallet too much…just pray it’s not out of stock when you go to reorder it.
Hope this helps!
If you are looking for a new skincare product and you have dry skin, I think I might have something for you. I was introduced to Biossance by a friend. She got a sample of 100% Squalane Oil, but her skin is on the oily side and I guess it didn’t work out for her…lucky me!
I will be honest. My first impression from the get go is that their products are on the pricey side, but they are so worth it. The full-size bottle of Squalane Oil goes for $58. I know, it’s a bit crazy…but the best part is that they offer a sample size for $14. That sample will be enough for you to figure out if this product is worth the investment for you.
Side note: they are offering 25% off on all of the products until August 28, 2018 when shop through their website. Also, you get $15 for referring a friend. So hurry up!
So what’s squalane? I love brands that educate you about their products and the ingredients they use. The Biossance website explains:
You may or may not have heard of squalane, but your skin has. The human body produces its own version (known as squalene), but the amount made and retained in the skin decreases over time. It peaks in our teens and then starts to decline in our 20’s, leaving skin rough, dry and vulnerable.
After using it for about two weeks on a daily basis, my skin felt moisturized and that annoying dullness has disappeared. This product has given life and glow to my skin, which is so hard to achieve for a girl with dry skin. The good news: This oil is meant for all skin types, so don’t let the word “oil” scare you off. It doesn’t contain fragrance, which is really something you must watch out for when choosing your next skincare product. It’s also non-toxic and hypoallergenic.
Just a few tips:
- You can use it for adding moisture to your cuticles, as well as your hands;
- You can add a drop or two of the oil to your body lotion if your skin feels extra dry;
- Same tip goes for your hair;
My routine with it is pretty simple: I use this oil by itself at night and also in the morning before applying my moisturizer. Pretty certain this product will stay on my shelf for a long time!
Your NDS Duo,
My story with Bumble and Bumble began the day I decided to make an appointment at the salon to cut my hair short. I just felt so bored with it at the time. After scrolling through Instagram on a daily (actually, more like an hourly) basis, I felt like my hair was lacking that picture-perfect shine all of the celebrities have.
I had no idea whether cutting my hair would fix that issue, but I was definitely on a mission to get that haircut…that is, until I walked into Sephora and asked a consultant to show me the product that ended up bringing life and glow back to my hair. He handed me Bumble and Bumble hair oil. I fell in love and we have been together ever since.
Here are just a few reasons why you should invest in it yourself, and when I say invest, it’s because it is a bit on the pricey side…so listen up:
- It contains six different kinds of oils that are very beneficial for your hair;
- It doesn’t weigh down hair like some other hair oils tend to do;
- The day you try this oil will be the day you say goodbye to split ends;
- If you have curly hair, that probably means you have a close relationship with hot tools, and it’s no secret they cause hair damage. This oil will protect your hair from getting damaged while heat styling;
- It will make your hair smell great even though it absorbs quickly;
- I love using it on dry hair too since it helps to tame that annoying frizz;
- A little goes a long way. I bought it about six months ago and have only gone through ¼ of the bottle;
Friendly reminder: avoid using too much of the oil so your hair doesn’t get greasy. And please, please, please don’t put it on your roots! I’ve heard some people actually do that. Anyways, if you have been struggling to find a great hair oil that will keep your hair healthy, soft and moisturized, I think I may have solved that one for you today. I hope I did 🙂
Your NDS Duo,
Make up remover and cleanser, my every night routine. Well, it used to be until just recently. I was introduced to Tatcha One Step Camellia Cleansing Oil a couple of weeks ago. As a side note, we’ll talk about the benefits of facial oils on a future post. Today, we’d like to concentrate on this specific product. Some of you might have seen this cute bottle on our Instagram story the other day, but we decided to share it as a post as well so whoever is interested could come back and learn why this cleanser is on our “must have” list.
I’m very particular when it comes to makeup removal. I will take as many steps as possible to be sure my makeup is gone COMPLETELY. The idea of going to sleep with makeup on is terrifying to me, so I went all in for One Step Camellia Cleansing Oil.
I picked up this product out of curiosity. I’ve read reviews about it, but sometimes reviews are not enough. Remember, we all have unique skin and things that working fantastic on mine might not give you the same results and vice versa. So my beauty Bible says to find out for yourself. So I did.
I have a problem when it comes to instructions. I simply forget to check if they even exist, unless it’s a mask or exfoliator. As I would do with any cleanser, I applied the cleansing oil on my damp skin, but right away I could see that something was off. The first question I asked myself was “What is the rave all about?” Instantly it was a big “no go” for me…until I looked at the bottle (yes, it was about time, lol) which instructed me to use “…one or two pumps on dry hands and then massage onto dry face”. Done and done. It wasn’t love at first sight, but we worked it out.
Even if I already like a product, I still go back to try to educate myself about the ingredients and benefits it has that others don’t. Technically, you can find tons of cleansing oils at this point, so why Tatcha One Step Camellia Cleansing Oil?
- It has no sulfates or parabens. My only complaint is that it contains fragrances.
- I love that it was formulated to remove makeup from around the eyes. This made up for the fragrance part!
- What is the most annoying part of your makeup removing routine? Would you agree if I said eye makeup? Eyeliners are not easy to remove, UNLESS you do it with Tatcha’s Cleansing Oil. It will literally melt your makeup off.
- Japanese camellia oil, which is the main ingredient, is rich in vitamins A, B, D, and E and nourishing Omegas 3, 6, and 9. The product not only cleanses, but also nourishes your skin.
- I know the word “oil” will scare many of you and I understand why, but I have combination skin myself. Since I started using the product, I haven’t had any breakouts and my skin looks less oily.
- Annnnnnd…there is no need to double clean. Your skin is ready for the next treatment right away.
Are you convinced yet? Because we aren’t done. The most important part is that with a purchase of a full-sized Tatcha skincare item, you will help fund a day of school for one incredible girl. Tatcha has partnered up with Room to Read and together they have already funded one million days of school. Their Girls’ Education Program was created to ensure that girls won’t be pulled out of school to help at home so they have a chance for a good education and employment in the future. “When girls stay in school, life improves…for everyone”.
Your NDS Duo,
Redken Pillow Primer has been on my shelf for about one year. My hair is naturally extremely curly and it took me some time to learn how to blow dry it myself. I don’t think I expected much of Redken Pillow Primer, that’s why it took me over a year to actually give it a shot, and honestly I wish I would have done it sooner, because it makes the blow drying process for me much faster.
So here are a few things I love about it:
- Protects my hair from breaking and the heat: I can see that my hair looks and feels much healthier now than it used to before even after all the heating tools I use.
- It gives my hair volume: days when flat hair was a thing are pretty much over.
- It doesn’t kill the volume: it keeps my hair feeling very soft and silky afterwards.
- My hair feels much more thick and soft: the combination of both is hair goals
- A lasting blow dry and product: My blow dry lasts all day which is necessary and the actual product lasts me a good amount of time (bonus!).
Tips on how to get the best out of it:
- Shake it well before spraying it.
- Make sure to start blow drying your hair right after applying the spray, so it doesn’t get sticky.
- AND don’t mind the smell of it. I know that for many people that has been an issue, but once your hair is dry the smell is much less annoying. No one likes the smell of hairspray but, we still use it. Its purpose is to protect your hair and give you volume, not make it smell like roses.
Happy hair styling,
Your NDS Duo
The first body oil that I ever encountered was no doubt Johnson’s Baby Oil. I’m sure you can relate. I still have it on my shelf in case I run out of my favorite body oils (you should always keep a few of those handy).
Things have changed at a rapid pace in the beauty world. I never would have thought that I would be using oil on my nails, hair or even face. When it became a popular “thing” I thought “No way! Oil is so greasy!”. Yes, I used to be one of those people, I admit. I used to believe that lotion alone would keep my skin moisturized and that there was nothing better than that, until I’ve learned that you should never be skeptical about ANY beauty matters. So, here are a few things you should know in case you haven’t added one of these cute bottles to your bathroom shelf.
Oils are more effective at moisturizing than lotions. Lotion rubs off your skin very fast, while oil penetrates deeper and keeps your skin hydrated for much longer. Tip: Apply oil right after a shower or bath while your skin is still damp. This helps the oil absorb faster.
Oils are highly concentrated, so when you see a tiny little bottle, don’t be nervous to invest in it. Just remember that you will only use a few drops, which will make it last forever. Okay, I’m exaggerating a bit — maybe it will last for a couple of months. But using a beauty product for months feels like forever since we all know most products don’t last too long.
You will love this one. The biggest discovery for me was that some oils can also be used as a perfume. Woohoo! It’s a win-win!! While oils are concentrated, don’t let that scare you. They don’t have that overpowering feeling like some perfumes do. Most importantly, if you have sensitive skin or allergies to any ingredients, an organic oil is better than most perfumes since perfume bottles typically don’t list ingredients.
I have recently learned that most body oils can be combined with essential oils which can help you relax, feel better and even lift your mood. And all of that comes in one little bottle of oil? I will take 10 of them!
By this point, you are technically killing three birds with one stone: You’ll achieve moisturized skin, a pleasant scent and better mood. What else do we girls need? Perhaps we need to stock up on a few more! 🙂
Your NDS Duo,